Sunday 26 February 2017

Cycle Canada, Day 13, May 17/06


May 17/06, Wednesday. Day 13                                                   1158 Kms
Prairie Bell's B&B, Oyen, Alberta                                                 ~130 Kms                             ~ 6:20 Hrs.
- Met Gord & Ruth on the highway
- Good tailwinds in the afternoon
- Spent the night at Prairie Bell's. Cheryl & Manfred were the hosts, she talkative and he mostly silent but witty when he spoke.
Did a laundry and bought food and beer. Also went for fries & gravy and a beer at the local Chinese restaurant. It cost $8 each.
A little more reasonable than the $20 each we had spent for a burger and a beer in Calgary but still a highly inflated price.
Prairie Bell's has collections of cookie tins and bells. The bells are scattered around the house and concentrated in the dining room. I didn't even notice them until they were mentioned by someone. What I did notice was the cookie tins everywhere. In the halls, bathrooms, bedrooms, stairway, kitchen.
It was a great old house built in 1917 by 3 brothers and their father to attract a suitor for their sister. It worked. The house has been moved twice since it was built. Manfred was building an addition.
It was a hot day today, the hottest of the year so far. It might have been the hottest of the whole trip with temperatures in the low 30's. The wind, heat, exercise and lack of shade made for a very dry ride. I didn't keep track of the water I was drinking but I know it was a lot. Doug was drinking bottled water and his bill for the day was around $15 or $20.
Oyen is about 4 Km's off the highway and I was wilting at the end of a long day of riding. We could have camped at the gas station at the cross roads but it was just a field. I didn't want to lie in a tent in the sun. It would too hot.
I think this was also the day that I started to notice that the riding was getting easier. I didn't feel the urge to go straight to sleep when I got off the bike. After a couple of hours of rest, cooling down and watering up I felt pretty good. We even sat in the parlour at Prairie Bell's and watched a bit of hockey.

No comments:

Post a Comment