Sunday 26 February 2017

Cycle Canada, Day 42, June 15/06


June 15/06, Thursday                                                           Day 42                   4065 Kms
Hall's Marina, Perry Sound, Ont.                                                                          155 Kms                             ~ 7:15 Hrs
A longish day but satisfying. Hall's Marina is a blast from the past. Just about as basic as a place can get but well laid out in a post WWII way. A lot of spots here are permanent rental I suspect. One even has a rude cabin built on it. There are names on the docks for the regular parking spots for the boats. Strangely, this campsite has a homey/community feel to it as soon as you come in. It reminds me of my youth.
I thought that I'd slung all of the food into a tree but it looks like I missed something. A racoon invaded our site and managed to open one of my saddle bags. He had the 1st aid kit half way out before I got out of the tent and heaved a shoe at him. He broke the mirror off of my helmet. I put the whole saddle bag into the tree with the food bag since I wasn't sure what he was after. Half an hour later he was back and climbing on the bike again but he soon gave that up for the tree and after 15 minutes or so he gave up on that too.
Doug's broken shifter cable. Apart from flat tires and my broken speedo cable this was the only breakdown on the trip and the only breakdown that affected the operation of either of our bikes. Mountain bikes rule for touring. They're bullet proof. We stopped at a Canadian Tire, bought a cable, and were good to ride again in less than a half hour.
Lady who thought that we cut our own hair. @ hot dog stand on the highway. Believed that I might have cycled across Canada but thought Doug was making it up.
Hall's Marina not obvious from the highway. No signage.

No comments:

Post a Comment