Sunday 26 February 2017

Cycle Canada, Day 54, June 27/06


June 27/06, Tuesday                                                                    Day 54        5282 Kms
Motel Claude, Deglelis, P.Q.                                                                                90 Kms        ~ 5:10 Hrs
Oy! What a day! I'm writing this the next day (as I frequently do). We were so bagged and miserable yesterday that we took a room at 16:30. Had lunch, a beer, a shower, supper, a beer and in bed before 21:00. It rained during our night at Rivier-du-Loup and the tent hasn't become any more water-proof than it was in Algonquin. We got up to wet clothes, wet sleeping bags and rain. Through the day we had the triple-whammy of cycling. Hills, head-winds and rain. Let me say that none of these were very bad. The rain was warm. The hills were mostly long slow slopes. The winds seldom exceeded 20 Km/Hr. But the combination of all three plus fatigue from the last two days rides made this day painful.
Doug seemed reluctant to stop, passing through at least one small town after we'd ridden two and a half hours without a break. I think he feared not being able to start again. I know I did. When we finally stopped at Cabano he said that he had almost stopped 6 times at motels along the way. I would not have objected.
We are far enough east to be in the Atlantic time zone (and will be once we cross the border into New Brunswick) and the sky was bright at 4:11 when I woke up this morning. Today, 28th, should be mostly down grade as we follow the river on the Maine border to Grand Falls.
My safari shirt has seen its last as I tore the whole back out yesterday. The mending at Mom's was wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment