Sunday 26 February 2017

Cycle Canada, Day 6, May 10/06


May 10/06 Day 6 612 Km
A closed picnic area about 25 Km east of Revelstoke 108 Kms ~ 6:45 Hrs
The second battery for the camera is now dead. I should have thought of charging one at the internet cafe in Sicamous. We were really in Sicamous last night though we didn't know it. We had already started down the hill when we stopped at the rest stop for the night; in the morning it was only about 8 Km's into town, 6 of them down hill. We got there in 20 minutes without even warming up. I was pretty cold by the time we got into the cafe. I got off a quick, bulk e-mail note but didn't spend a lot of time at it as I had food coming.
The ride today was mostly uphill, like yesterday. We had a few good swoops but over all was climb.
About 3 hours (40 Km's) out of Revelstoke we stopped at a gas station for a break. One guy asked me where we were headed. I said, "Revelstoke and points beyond." That got a good, spontaneous laugh from several people. We rode all the way to Revelstoke looking for "The Big Hill" but never found it. The worst part was climbing out of the east end of Revelstoke. The grade was 8% or better for a kilometre or so but once we joined the highway the slope became much more civilized.
It had been cold in the morning. We jumped on the bikes and started the coast down hill. My hands were really cold. I was tempted to slow down when they started to hurt. I wished that I'd put socks on them or something, even a nice hill to climb would be good.
Sicamous was closed, mostly. It was still before 7:00 and tourist season was a couple of weeks off yet. I started to think we might have to go without breakfast but, down a side street, we came across the internet cafe. A pleasant little spot, I don't think it had been in business very long, made in a converted old house, white picket fence and all.
The man and woman who were running the place were friendly. They told us about the crack-house that had been across the street and indicated a building that might have been built in the 30's of 40's. It was the size of a one-room cabin or single car garage.We took some film of their animatronic turtle as it crawled along the floor and sang, "You Got to Slow Down."
Whenever I drive through Revelstoke I think of it being in a valley (which it is) and the steep roads on both sides. Coming in to town I had expected a steeper drop. Leaving, the non-highway section was tough but once on the highway the road seemed to be mostly a gentle slope. Maybe it was just by comparison.
Sometime on the ride through the mountains (perhaps as early as the second day) Doug and I found that we were having trouble judging slopes. We started exchanging conversations like:
"Why are we working so hard? Isn't this down hill?"
"It looks down hill, but I can't tell by looking."
"Trust the pedals. The pedals know."
"The pedals say it's up hill."
Our camp site for the night was great. The only drawback was that the wash house was locked. I pitched the tent while Doug had a bath in the glacial runoff of the river. We had pasta and wine for supper in the covered cook house and got a small fire going in the wood stove. Sometime during the evening Doug had sized up the bear-proof garbage cans and figured that two people could fit into one if required. He rigged a string onto the latch of the one closest to the tent so that it could be openned from the inside. I hadn't given bears much thought up 'til that point but I know that if they had been around, at that time of year they'd be hungry and mean.
The Canadian Pacific Railway main line is on the opposite river bank from the picnic site. I never realized how much stuff gets moved by trains. A fully loaded one rolled passed every 8 to 10 minutes. When it came time to sleep, they didn't keep me awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment