Sunday 26 February 2017

Cycle Canada, Day 3, May 7/06


May 7/06 Day 3 326 Km
Some Motel, Cache Creek, B.C. 120 Km ~ 5:45 Hrs
Good riding today. Oh....I hurt when I started out this morning. Our pace was slow for the first couple of hours but picked up quite a bit in the afternoon. We took a couple of really big breaks and that helped a lot.
Met Rob Adrieansen on the highway. He was on his way back from a fishing weekend. He gave us a couple of cold beers and that precipitated another stop for a while.
We had quite a strong tail-wind all day. The weather started out rather drab & drear this morning with very low clouds (only a couple of hundred feet above the campsite) but got better as the day went on.
Been taking some film but probably not enough. Have a room tonight & will check the quality of what we've got so far.
We'd half expected to see Rob somewhere along the road. While visiting in Vancouver he'd told us that he was going fishing and would be coming back along the road we were going out on. Doug & I were sweeping down a hill, me in front, and a small pick-up going the other way honked at me. I didn't give it much thought and kept going. About a mile later I noticed that Doug wasn't behind me anymore. I stopped. Waited. Decided to go back and see what had happened to him. I was just starting to climb back up the hill when he came sweeping down. That's when I started to think that it might have been Rob in the pick-up.
Doug and Rob had exchanged a quick greeting as Rob was in a hurry to get home. He passed Doug a couple of cold beers. When Doug and I reached the bottom of the hill we sat near a roadside pullout and drank a toast to Rob.
The owners of this motel are an odd couple. The wife seems ill suited to the hospitality industry. I think there was one other room rented when we pulled in and the wife didn't seem too keen to rent a room to us. She made it plain that she had no love for people on bicycles. Said she'd rather have Hell's Angels in her motel. Hell's Angels are lovely people. Bicyclists are trouble makers. Her husband stepped in and rather sheepishly took our money.

No comments:

Post a Comment