Sunday 26 February 2017

Cycle Canada, Day 2, May 6/06


May 6/06
A rest stop Just short of Lytton, B.C. 120 Km ~7:15 Hrs
Hills started today. Makes for harder riding but still do-able. Rode on the small ring quite a bit. My ass hurts. A lot. My left knee isn't giving me any hassle but the right one feels like it has something in it.
Fatigue is a big factor. Doug & I burnt off a lot of our energy reserves yesterday and today rode on half empty tanks. The average speed was down quite a bit.
The "9 Km Hill" outside of Boston Bar never materialized. There were a couple of good sized hills including one that was almost 3 Km long & woo wee what a down-grade on the other side. We did about 70 K's passed a couple of middle aged guys pouring gas into a car. They had huge grins on their faces. I think they were a bit jealous.
"9 Km Hill" struck a bit of fear into us when we stopped at Boston Bar for breakfast. The name wasn't fully explained and we assumed that it was a hill 9 Km long. I think it was in fact the 3 Km long hill that was about 9 Km north of town. Even at 3 Km it was a hard climb and I kept setting myself goals a couple of hundred yards at a time. Doug was doing better than me though he told me that he was setting goals along the way too. I finally stopped for a rest after more than 2.5 Km and with no top in sight.
When we got back on the bikes the top of the hill was around a slight curve and about 300 Yds. farther on. At the time I felt like I'd cheated myself. Like if I'd known that the top of the hill was so close I could have pushed on and made it without the rest break.

No comments:

Post a Comment